Wednesday, February 11, 2009

To Pageant or Not to Pageant


For years I have helped pageant directors organize their beauty pageants in hotel ballrooms and formed my own opinions very quickly about what these "beauty" pageants were all about. I've watched toothless mothers spend hundreds of dollars on overnight accommodations, spray tans,(yes, they spray tan there toddlers) clothes, photos, of which are so digitally enhanced that by the time they are done doctoring the photos you cant even tell if the child is, 1. even the same child or if 2.they are actually wax figures of themselves.

I said many times, "how could these Mothers do this to their children...fake hair, fake teeth, fake, fake, fake... that's not teaching these children true beauty, I will never do that to my little girl if I ever have one".

And then, you have my mother's theory, that it could cause psychological problems...If I don't win, I'm ugly, fat, worthless etc...That all you are worth as a person are the physical aspects.

The flip side is that it could create confidence and self esteem.

Well now I have one, Laney Grace 2, and I have been trying to decide if I want to enter her into a beauty pageant. It looks like so much fun. I just don't know where to start. It's extremely expensive and time consuming from what I understand but some of the pageants offer cash prizes or savings bonds.

I have been doing some preliminary research and learned that not all pageants are the "glitzy" kind. I don't know, morally and ethically is this right? Am I a bad mom if I want my beautiful baby girl to be a beauty queen?

The picture above is from the movie Little Miss Sunshine, I've never seen it but I think I may rent it. S0 many people have told me I need to see it.

2 comments:

Alli and Korey said...

Laney is such a cutie Whit ... I think she would do great. Why dont you just start out small and if you both like it keep them up and if not then move on. I will totally be in the audience screaming GO LANEY GRACE !!!

michelle huey said...

Yes. Definitely watch "Little Miss Sunshine". I think it will give you some perspective. You know I saw all of the madness too with these pagents, but personally if done correctly, I think it can be a positive experience for the child. Big note: Only if Laney enjoys it, the moment she doesn't, then let it go. I think what we saw was a bunch of mommas living vicariously through their daughter's lives. Mother use to put me in padgents and I enjoyed them up to a point, then one day I cried about it and she didn't force the issue any longer. If you do, I will most definitley be there! Love-chelle